Women (and men) with African American hair have particular needs, so it makes sense to choose the best flat iron for African American hair possible, here I try to give you the best piece of advice on this matter.
When using a flat iron for African American hair, girls want the option of sporting straight hair, but do not want to use harsh chemicals on their locks to achieve the look. Damage to hair and skin and allergic reactions are just a few of the reasons to avoid hair straightening chemical treatments. This guide will offer tips to choose the best flat iron for African American hair.
Using a Flat iron for African American Hair
- First of all, select a hair straightener with adjustable heat, and one that will heat to the maximum 450 degree F. African American hair is stronger, and can withstand higher heats without being damaged – it will also require higher temperatures to get the hair straightened.
- Secondly, the best iron for your purposes will be a half-inch or one-inch iron, and especially one that offers teeth on the plates (or not, you can easily use a comb). These teeth or comb will be useful for untangling the hair. (Check the video below on this article about the new Paul Mitchell New Neuro® Smooth Flat Iron, you can see that the stylish uses a comb with the flat iron).
- Next, prepare the hair by shampooing it and using a deep penetrating conditioner which will soften the tresses using healthy moisturizers. If at all possible, let the hair air dry, without using a blow dryer. Those tools offset the positive effects of the conditioner and may cause tangles that inhibit the straightening process.
- The fourth step is to set the hair straightener at medium heat, between 300 degrees and 350 degrees F, and give your whole head of hair a “once over,” to brush out any tangles. Gently pull the hair straight down all the way around your head. Now, spend a few moments dividing your hair into sections for more direct attention. You may also want to apply a leave-in conditioner to the ends of the hair, to prevent them from drying out.
At this point, take a small section of hair and work the hair straightener through it from back towards the fronts. Go as quickly as possible without pulling or snagging. The temperature of the styling tool should be set to 420 to 450 degrees F, for maximum effectiveness. Once you know that the temperature you’ve chosen will not damage your tresses, you may go more slowly to avoid repetition. The section of hair you work should feel smooth, silky and very straight. With practice you will be able to reduce the time it takes, and you’ll perfect the technique, to attain the straightest locks possible.
Expert advice when using your best flat iron for African American hair
Once you have straightened your hair, use your styling tool to craft any hair style you desire. Be patient with the whole process. Take your time. Relax and enjoy yourself. The end result will by a stunning look you are very happy with, whether it is for work, school, church, casual dining with friends, or a long-awaited date. Enjoy the journey.
If you ask me I would recommend the Paul Mitchell Flat Irons and Products for African American Hair. That is why you can see the banner above advertising the Paul Mitchell Products, go ahead and take a look.
I just love this brand. All products are 5 stars. In this particular case, we are looking for the best flat iron for African American hair, so I would pick the Paul Mitchell Neuro™ Smooth 1.25" Flat Iron! Great reviews here, if you want to check. This flat iron - thePaul Mitchell Neuro™ Smooth 1.25" Flat Iron - works with all hair types, (I would say it works better with medium to long length hair). Perfect for thick, frizzy textures or coarse hair that are hard to make sleek and straight.
Favorite smoothing iron for African American hair
- 450℉ in 30 seconds
- 1.25" cushioned IsoTherm titanium plates
- beveled edges prevent demarcation lines
- Programmable temperature settings for fine, medium and coarse hair types
- Exterior LCD display
- Customizable auto shut-off
- 9-foot swivel cord with hanging loop
- SmartSense microphip for lightning-fast heat recovery
- 1 year limited manufacturer warranty without tool registration.
- 2 year limited manufacturer warranty with online tool registration.